Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall colors and legos

This past weekend, I decided to get out and see some things here in Utah. The more I think about the fact that I am supposed to defend in 3 months, the more I realize that I am running out of time to do all of the things I said I would when I first moved here!

Since fall is my favorite season (and my soon to be home of San Diego has no seasons), I figured doing a scenic drive to enjoy the trees as they change color would be the perfect way to spend a Saturday. Apparently Utah is a great place to see fall colors, because when I searched for fall drives in Utah, I found a list of 27 Fall Color Tours! I opted for option 12: The Alpine Loop (billed as One of Utah's Most Spectacular Scenic Drives) which starts at the mouth of American Fork Canyon, winds up through the Uintas past Mount Timpanogos, passes the Sundance ski resort, and lets you out at the bottom of Provo Canyon. The road is only open from late May to early October (the rest of the time it is closed due to snow).


After all of the hype (really, one of the most spectacular?), I have to say the drive did not disappoint! Due to the early snow fall this year, Mount Timpanogos was covered in snow, which provided a dramatic contrast to the bright reds, oranges, and yellows of the fall trees. I am so glad that I was able to enjoy this drive before I leave.

When you get spit out of the bottom of Provo Canyon, you have two options - head west to Provo or east to Heber City/Park City. I had read about an exhibit up in Park City where the sculptures are made entirely of legos and I was very intrigued by the idea, so I decided to head east. When I arrived at the Kimball Art Center, I discovered that the exhibit, The Art of the Brick, was free, which made me even more happy! The artist, Nathan Sawaya, has made a number of sculptures, some of which took him over 3 months to create! I have featured a few of my favorites here., but there are plenty more that I am not showing, so if you are in the Park City area before November 15, I would definitely recommend checking it out!



No comments: