Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cabin Fever

If you know me then you know that I am what is termed a pesco vegetarian, meaning that the only type of meat that I eat is fish (although I cannot lie - once in a blue moon I do have the occasional "relapse" and indulge in a few strips of bacon at breakfast). In being a non-turkey eater, I am automatically eliminated from one of the great American past times - getting stuffed on turkey and gravy for Thanksgiving.

But that doesn't mean that you should feel sorry for me. I more then make up for the lack of turkey each year by making rich, hearty, non meat containing dishes. This year was no exception. A close friend of ours has a cabin at Grizzly Gulch up at Alta ski resort and since he was in Manhattan for the weekend to visit his sister, he generously agreed to let us use it. Although we were hoping to ski, there is as yet little snow and only a few runs are open up at Alta, so we decided to pass on the skiing. But nevertheless, there was a enough snow to make for a beautiful view and the perfect environment for a warm fire and a rich, hearty fondue accompanied by one of my favorite salads over which I was able to think about all of the things that I am thankful for. The past year has been a tough and bittersweet one and I have lost a lot of the people who were once close to me (family and friends), but I still have so very much to be thankful for - not least of which are the good friends and loved ones who have remained a part of my life. I am so thankful for you each and everyday and I hope that you know it!

Swiss Fondue

1 clove garlic
1 cup white wine (or champagne)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 pound grated gruyere
1/2 pound grated emmentaler
3 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp Kirsch
Pepper
Nutmeg

Rub inside of fondue pot with garlic clove. Throw garlic away. Heat wine and lemon juice to a simmer over medium heat. Toss gruyere and emmentaler with cornstarch to coat. Add cheese to heated wine and lemon juice mixture one handful at a time, making sure all cheese is melted before adding the next handful. Once all cheese has been incorporated, season to taste with nutmeg and pepper. Stir in Kirsch and serve with crusty bread and/or sliced apples.


The dressing I used.



The finished product.


Spinach Salad

9 oz. bag of spinach
2 - 3 oz crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 packages fresh blackberries (I have also used raspberries or chopped strawberries)
1 bottle raspberry vinagrette salad dressing

Toss all ingradients together and enjoy!

No comments: