Monday, December 28, 2009

Party Pleaser

Because fate is cruel and for whatever reason we can never seem to live in the same place at the same time for more than 2 months in a row, Paul had to move back to San Diego to start his new job and my evil committee refused to let me leave until after I defend my thesis (a mere 81 days from now but who's counting?). Of course instead of working on said thesis, I decided to throw him a going away party. One of his friends was nice enough to volunteer to bring duck tacos made with a duck he had shot and killed that morning, so I decided to stick with the Mexican theme and try my hand at making a seven layer dip.

Seven layer dip is one of those dishes that always looks so elegant and delicious when other people make it, but I was sure that I was going to manage to ruin it somehow and make it look unappetizing. I read some tips online and was encouraged when I read that the nice thing about seven layer dip is that you really can layer the ingredients in pretty much any order that you like (basically the only rule is to be sure to put the guacamole layer below the sour cream layer so that the sour cream does not turn brownish) and it will still be delicious (in other words, a dish that is pretty much impossible to mess up, which is right up my alley). I thought I would share it with all of you because a.) it is super easy but looks fancy and time consuming, b.) it is delicious, and c.) I think it would be the perfect thing to make ahead and take to a New Year's Eve or Super Bowl party.

Seven Layer Dip

1 oz package of taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso, pictured below)
16 oz can of refried beans
1 cup guacamole
1 cup salsa
16 oz sour cream
1 small tomato, diced
6 oz can sliced black olives
2 cups cheddar cheese (or Mexican cheese blend)
1 bunch green onion, sliced

Mix refried beans with taco seasoning and spread over the bottom of a 13" x 9" casserole dish.


Top bean layer with guacamole and spread with spatula to cover.


Top guacamole layer with salsa. Top salsa layer with sour cream.


Garnish sour cream layer with diced tomato, olives, cheese, and green onion. Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm pretty great at messing up impossible to mess up recipes and I must say, you dish looks beautiful!