Saturday, March 13, 2010

Luck O' the Irish

St. Patty's Day is almost upon us, and since this year it falls the night before my 10 a.m. thesis defense (I'm not bitter or anything), I decided to celebrate a bit early this year. In an effort to stick to my resolution to make a Bon Appetit recipe each month (month 2 of following through - woo hoo!), I decided to make Irish Soda Bread. They had this great article in the magazine about traveling all over the country of Ireland in search of the perfect soda bread recipe - if you haven't read the article yet, here is a link to the winning recipe.

However, there are a few caveats to me deciding to make this bread: 1.) I am not Irish, 2.) I have never been to Ireland, and 3.) I have never tried Irish Soda Bread before. Therefore, I had no idea what the bread should taste or look like, but I didn't let that stop me. I followed the recipe to a tee and got pretty worried after I added the buttermilk and saw this much flour remaining in the mixing bowl that refused to incorporate into the dough:


But I figured that since I had come this far, I may as well bake it. Here is what the dough looked like before baking:

And here is what it looked like after baking for 40 minutes:


As you can see, to my pleasant surprise, it turned out golden brown and still tasted yummy (I am attributing this to the luck o' the Irish). It is a dense, slightly nutty flavored brown bread, that has a biscuit like texture to it. (Of course, I have no idea if it tastes like it's supposed to due to the caveats I mentioned earlier.)

However, if I were to make it again (or if you decide to try it out for yourself), I would recommend either cutting the amount of flour in the recipe by about 2 cups, or upping the amount of buttermilk by a cup so that all of the dry ingredients in the dough come together.

Happy (early) St. Patty's Day everyone! Drink a Guinness (or two or three) for me.

No comments: