Monday, July 19, 2010

Dog Beach

One of my favorite things about San Diego (and the thing I missed the most while living in the mountains) is the beach. If I could, I would go to the beach each and every day. I love the beach when it's stormy, when it's sunny, when it's cloudy, when it's hot, when it's cold - you get the idea. There is just something so soothing about the sound of the waves and the smell of the salty breeze.

There are so many things that I love to do that I don't get to share with my dogs, but luckily the beach is not one of them since there are at least 4 different dog beaches around San Diego that I know of. Taking the dogs to the beach is quite the undertaking though, so I have only made it to one of the dog beaches so far - the one in Del Mar near the fairgrounds (which also conveniently happens to be the one closest to my house).

When I first took the dogs to the beach, I was worried that they would be afraid of the ocean. Tenaya is a total water dog and has always loved swimming in lakes and rivers and streams any chance that she gets, even when she was just a tiny puppy. Charlie, on the other hand, is a total weirdo around water. (I was actually convinced for almost a year that he just wasn't able to swim at all because he never went in to water any higher than his knees. Then one day, he was chasing a dog at the Sunnyside dog park in SLC like a bat out of hell. The dog went leaping into the lake and Charlie followed full steam ahead. I thought that was the end of Charlie and he would surely drown, but he shocked me by swimming across the entire lake like he had been swimming his whole life. That dog never ceases to surprise me.)

Even though I knew the dogs could swim, I thought for sure that when they saw and heard the crashing waves they would be scared and not want to get anywhere near the water. Let's just say, I couldn't have been more wrong! They BOTH dove right in and now dog beach is probably their favorite place to go. Watching them play there is one of the cutest and funniest things that I have witnessed. Here are some photos I managed to snap on our most recent visit this weekend:


When Tenaya sees water, she has only one priority - fetch.


Super dog!


Charlie, on the other hand, is more interested in exploring and finding other dogs (or sea creatures) to play with.


This time he met another husky who wanted to be his girlfriend.


They were basically inseparable the entire time. It almost made me wish I had another husky for a second (until I imagined all of his craziness multiplied by two).

No comments: