Sunday, October 31, 2010

Stress Soothing Comfort Food

The past month has been a whirlwind, filled with highs and lows.  It all started with my 30th birthday.  In honor of the big day, my sister and I flew to Hawaii.  We had such a great time (I'll write more about that in a later post).  After the Hawaii trip, I came home and almost immediately headed off to Scottsdale for a wedding.  These were the highs. 

While I was at the wedding, I found out that my grandfather, who I had not seen since before I moved to Utah for grad school, passed away.  Although the wedding was lovely, the news that he had passed put a damper on the whole experience.  Two days later, I had to make the 9 hour drive up to Sonora for the funeral.   This was the first time I had seen most of my family in about 8 years.  It was so nice to see my grandmother, my 6 aunts and uncles, and my 19 cousins, but it was of course exhausting at the same time, driving 18 out of 48 hours to get up there and back here in time.

After all of this traveling and this emotionally draining experience, I have been craving the comfort of home and a hearty homemade meal.  Although I was far too tired to tackle making gnocchi from scratch this time, I promise I will attempt it one day and document it here.  Until then, I hope you will enjoy my store bought gnocchi with brown butter sage sauce.  

Potato Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sage Sauce

1 lb store bought potato gnocchi
1 stick unsalted butter
1 3.5 oz. package sage leaves
juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1/4 cup)


The gnocchi I used.

Cook gnocchi according to package directions.  Melt butter over medium heat:


Once the butter has melted, cook until it begins to brown.  Add the sage and lemon juice and cook for approximately 5 minutes:


Pour over gnocchi and serve:

No comments: