Monday, November 8, 2010

Mediterranean Made Easy

You know what the second best thing to going out to eat is?  Having someone else cook dinner for you!  Lucky me, my sister Anne made dinner for me on Friday night (for the first time ever, I might add), so for once I got to kick back, relax, and enjoy some wine after a hectic work week (is there any other kind?) instead of having to cook when I got home.

Anne made a super yummy, quick and easy shrimp, feta, and rice dish (maybe she'll decide to become a cook after all).  Less time spent cooking by me meant more time available for photographing the delicious food and fun.

Shrimp and Feta Kabobs with Rice

2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
juice from one lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
steamed white rice

Place shrimp in a ziploc bag with olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, oregano, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes:


I did not have oregano, so I substituted this dried herb mixture that I found in my spice rack:


 Marinate shrimp mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once to coat.  After 30 minutes is up, remove shrimp and thread onto skewers, like so:


If you have a bbq, these would be delicious grilled over an open flame.  My apartment complex does not allow bbqs, so we baked them at 350 F for about 20 minutes, flipping them once, until they truned pink and started to slightly brown, and they came out looking like this:


Scoop steamed rice onto plates and crumble feta over rice like so:


We used a lemon, garlic, and oregano feta to complement the other flavors in the dish:



Top with shrimp skewers and serve:


Crazy dog who tries to steal your dinner optional:

No comments: