Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Super Sunday Funday Snacks

If you're anything like me, after your team is out of contention you stop caring about football very much.  Inevitably, this happens to me every year (since the Chargers always seem to find a way to let me down).  So to be honest, I had no idea who was even playing in the Super Bowl this year until the game came on.  But I did know one thing for sure - I was going to use the game as an excuse to enjoy some beers and some tasty snacks.

The big hit of my Super Bowl parties is always my beer, bean, and cheese dip (I've included the recipe below).  And really, what goes better with football than beery, cheesy goodness?




This year, I followed the chips and cheese with some chili cheese fries (for my go to chili recipe, see my friend Hailey's blog):



And brownies (these beauties happened to be the cover recipe of Bon Appetit this month and I can safely say that they were not kidding when they warned that you would want to eat the entire tray by yourself):


And of course, I followed up all of this hard work in the kitchen with a cold, delicious beer (or five, but really, who's counting?):


Hope you all had a great Super Bowl Sunday too!  Now off to the gym . . .

Beer, Bean, and Cheese Dip

1/2 cup pale ale (avoid IPA - the hop flavor will overwhelm the dip)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can refried beans
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 16 oz package of Velveeta

Bring beer, cumin, and garlic powder to a simmer over medium heat.  Add beans and Rotel.  Stir for one minute.  Chop Velveeta into 8-10 cubes and add to mixture.  Stir until cheese melts.  Serve with tortilla chips (and beer) and enjoy!

No comments: