Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pasta Al Pomodoro: Pasta Perfection Part 2


I promised that I'd be sharing lots of pasta recipes with you all in the coming posts, and I do not aim to disappoint!

The second pasta recipe that I'd like to share is a variation on the cover recipe from the Bon Appetit Italy issue that I mentioned to you in my last post:


Usually when I think of making pasta al pomodoro, I don't think of adding onions - just a very simple sauce consisting of tomato, basil, and garlic.  After trying this recipe, I have to say that the onions do add a nice depth of flavor to this simple, light, and delicious sauce.

Pasta Al Pomodoro

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 28 oz can of tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 4 oz package of fresh basil
1 lb. of spaghetti
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat.  Add onion:


Cook for approximately 12 minutes (or until onions start to soften and are coated with olive oil):


Add garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring.  Add red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.

Increase heat to medium and add tomato sauce:


Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove pan from heat and add basil sprigs (whole).

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat.  Add spaghetti and cook until 2 minutes shy of al dente (according to package cooking directions).  Drain pasta but reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.

Remove basil from sauce and discard.  Heat sauce over high heat.  Stir in pasta water and bring to a boil.  Add spaghetti:


Cook until pasta is al dente (approximately 2 minutes).  Remove pan from heat and add butter and cheese:


Stir until cheese and butter melt.  Serve warm and top with more cheese (can you really ever have too much cheese?).

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yum! I love Bon Appetit. You are a really good food photographer--I want to eat that right now.

jessikahsd said...

Thanks Julie! Believe it or not, I just use a Canon point and shoot which automatically detects the right camera setting for you. It's been a great asset!