Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weeknight Wonder: Mustard and Brown Sugar Salmon with Oven Roasted Onion Potatoes


I don't know about you, but during the workweek I am always looking for quick and simple recipes that I can whip up with as few ingredients as possible that involve as little prep time as possible.

This week I came home from another 12 hour workday (exhausted, as usual) and was determined not to give in to my urge to order pizza or run to Chipotle.  I scoured my cabinets and fridge for something as quick, easy, and semi-healthy as possible to whip up.  Luckily, I came across a bag of these adorable little Dutch Yellow potatoes from Trader Joe's that I had leftover from a soup that I had made recently:


And a box of Lipton Onion soup mix:


If you've got potatoes, onion soup mix, and olive oil, you whip up these tasty potatoes in no time!

Oven Roasted Onion Potatoes

2 pounds small potatoes, quartered
1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (if you don't have olive oil, substitute vegetable oil)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Cut potatoes into quarters:


And place into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish:


Whisk oil and soup mix together in a small bowl:


And pour over potatoes.  Toss to coat potatoes evenly:


Place on center oven rack and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and starting to crisp, like so:


To go with the potatoes, I made salmon, once again using the ingredients that I had lying around in the fridge and pantry.

Mustard and Brown Sugar Salmon

1 pound salmon filet
freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup golden brown sugar

Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over salmon filet seasoned with salt and pepper:


Bake salmon in 425 F oven for 20 minutes.  Whisk mustard and brown sugar together in a small bowl until smooth:



(I used this mustard from Trader Joe's, but you could use any spicy brown mustard):


Remove salmon from oven and pour mustard/brown sugar mixture over baked salmon:


Turn on your oven's broiler (my broiler only seems to have one setting - Hi):


Broil salmon for about 3 minutes, until the mustard/sugar mixture starts to caramelize and bubble:


Plate salmon and potatoes and enjoy your 7 ingredient weeknight wonder meal!

No comments: