Friday, August 19, 2011

Bonbon-A-Thon

While I was flipping through the June issue of Food and Wine, I came across an article with a recipe that seemed so deceptively simple that it lead me to believe that I, a complete bonbon making novice, could make ice cream bonbons from scratch.  They lured me in with pictures like this one, promising that if I followed their three easy steps, I too could make these round, perfect, delicious ice cream filled bonbons:


Well readers I am here to tell you that Food and Wine lied to me!  I mean really, how in the hell are you supposed to roll ice cream in molten chocolate and NOT have the ice cream melt all over creation???  Short of dipping the ice cream in liquid nitrogen or using an extreme sub zero freezer, I have no idea how this is possible.  I even enlisted the help of my poor dinner guest Erin and we formed a bonbon assembly line, but we still could not work fast enough to make them look perfect!  Between the ice cream melting all over the place and the chocolate hardening up as it cooled, our bonbons came out looking something like this:


But I will say that what these mangled chocolate covered ice cream balls lacked in beauty, they more than made up for in flavor.  I've shared what we did below.  If you have any tips and/or a better approach, please do share them with me in the comments!

Ice Cream Bonbons

Ice Cream (any flavor you like will do)
10 ounces of chocolate (I used a mixture of 1/3 each dark, milk, and semisweet)
sea salt (for topping)

Place chocolate in a double boiler or in a large bowl over boiling water:


And stir until melted:


Scrape chocolate into a new bowl and allow to cool slightly.  Scoop Tbsp sized balls of ice cream (we used the following delicious flavors, but as I said earlier, you could really use and flavor you like):


And quickly roll them in the melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt.  Immediately transfer to wax paper lined cookie sheet in the freezer (you'll notice the melted ice cream dripping everywhere):


Freeze for 30 minutes, then consume.  They may look like this:


But I promise that they will be delicious!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Those Bon Bons might have looked like a hot mess,however the taste was perfect! The sea salt addition was the work of a true culinary artist! The whole experience made me want to shake my Bon Bon!