Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fettuccine ai Funghi (Mushroom Pasta)


It's finally fall, the temperature has started to drop, and I have found myself craving comfort food.  When I was a kid, my mom used to make hearty meat and pasta dishes in the fall like beef stroganoff and chicken cacciatore.  But since my husband and I rarely eat meat (and almost never cook any meat besides seafood), I was looking for something hearty without the meat, which is how I came up with this recipe for pasta with mushrooms.  It's kind of like beef stroganoff, just without the beef.  And it's so rich and hearty that I promise you won't even miss it!

Fettuccine ai Funghi

9 oz fresh fettuccine (or other wide noodle pasta, such as pappardelle)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced (crimini, oyster, or shiitake would work too)
1/2 cup heavy cream
nutmeg, salt, and pepper (to taste)
1 Tbsp freshly chopped oregano
freshly grated parmesan cheese (as a garnish)

Melt 3 Tbsp butter with 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat:


Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).  Add garlic, and cook until it just starts to brown (about 2 minutes):


Add wine and cook for approximately 2 minutes (or until the wine reduces by half).  Add mushrooms, remaining butter and olive oil, and cook until mushrooms start to brown:


Add cream, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and oregano, and cook until the cream starts to bubble and thicken (about 2 minutes):


Add cooked fettuccine to the pan and toss to coat:


Serve topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments: