Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pumpkin Shrimp Curry


As you may know from some of my previous posts, I am an absolute fiend for pumpkin and am always looking for new ways to incorporate it into my recipes.  So you can imagine my excitement when I came across the 3 Chefs, 1 Ingredient feature in the November issue of Bon Appetit where they asked three different chefs to describe new ways to use pumpkin and proclaimed that "pumpkin is for more than just pie".  (I couldn't agree more!)  I promised you back in my Thanksgiving post that I would share my take on their suggestion for a Pumpkin Shrimp Curry and here I am finally getting around to it.  The next pumpkin recipe I plan to tackle is a pumpkin pasta, so all my fellow pumpkin fanatics out there should be sure to stay tuned!

Pumpkin Shrimp Curry

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
1 Tbsp ginger
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of pumpkin
1 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 can coconut milk
3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and ginger.  Stir to coat onions with ginger and saute until onions are soft and translucent (about 8 to 10 minutes).


Add garlic and saute for another minute.  Add tomatoes (including any liquid from the can) and pumpkin and cook for 10 minutes.


Add broth, coconut milk, and both spices.  Stir to incorporate and simmer for 20 minutes.


I used light coconut milk.  All the flavor, creaminess, and richness of the regular version with only a third of the calories and fat - how can you go wrong?



Add the shrimp and simmer until they are cooked through.


Serve over steamed rice.  I garnished mine with cilantro and grated lime zest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'm making this tomorrow! You rock!

jessikahsd said...

Thanks lady!