Sunday, March 18, 2012

Quintessential Vegan Breakfast: Tofu Scramble


I have said it before and I'll say it again: tofu is one of the most underrated ingredients out there.  I'm not sure why tofu gets such a bad rap in the foodie world.  Fear of the unfamiliar, perhaps?  Well don't let that stand in your way readers!  I'm here to prove to even you non-believers out there that tofu can be a delicious substitute for animal products in a wide variety of recipes. 

Ten years ago when I decided to become a vegetarian, tofu scramble was one of the first recipes that I mastered.  And now, even though I am a huge scrambled egg lover and am no longer a strict vegetarian, it is still a mainstay of my recipe arsenal.  It's quick, easy, and incredibly flavorful.  I've outlined the most basic ingredients below, but the best part is, you can adapt this recipe to include as many, or as few ingredients, as you like.  Have leftover onions, potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, or peppers?  Throw them in.  Anything you would add to a traditional omelette or scramble will blend seamlessly with this recipe.

The next time you're about to whip up some scrambled eggs, give this a try instead.  I promise that you will not be disappointed!   

Tofu Scramble

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 block of extra firm tofu, drained of excess water
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp yellow curry powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 cayenne pepper

At least 1/2 hour before starting this recipe, drain tofu as previously described:


Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.  Add garlic and saute until just golden brown (approximately two minutes):


Use your hand to crumble drained tofu block into the frying pan (you'll want it to achieve a consistency similar to scrambled eggs):



Add spices to tofu and stir to coat.  Cook for about 5 minutes:





Serve with traditional breakfast items (toast, potatoes).  Enjoy!

No comments: