Sunday, February 14, 2010

Food, Friends, and Festivities


Since working for a university has the benefit of getting federal holidays off of work, Paul was able to fly out for the long President's Day weekend. We marked the first night of his visit by heading up to his good friend Charlie's cabin up at Alta. It was a great night of food, wine, and catching up with good friends. One of my favorite parts was sitting in front of the warm fire and being surrounded by snow, but the late night snow jumping was up there as well.


I was charged with bringing an appetizer, so I finally took the opportunity to make the delicious baked brie that my good friend Hailey posted on her blog over the holidays which I have been dying to try. It was seriously the easiest appetizer I have ever put together (it took less than a minute to assemble) and was a crowd pleaser, so I definitely recommend it for your next get together. And the next morning I even skied Alta for the first time after years and years of hype about how difficult it would be - I can't help but think the brie fueled me through it.


Baked Brie

1 sheet puff pastry dough (you can find it in your grocer's freezer section)
raspberry jam (although any jam would probably work)
1 disc brie
1 egg (used as an egg wash for the crust)

Thaw the pastry dough for 40 minutes at room temp. Spread jam on the thawed dough, place the disc of brie in the middle of the pastry sheet, and wrap the sheet around the cheese. Brush the outside of the pastry sheet with egg. Bake at 400 F for 20 to 30 minutes (or until cheese is melted and pastry crust turns a nice golden brown).

1 comment:

hailskitchen said...

Yay! I am so glad you liked it! It looks so fancy shmancy when in fact it is the easiest thing in the world to make :) Sounds like you had a great weekend! Tell Paul hello! xoH