Sunday, February 7, 2010

Let the Final Countdown Begin

After 5 long years my career as a graduate student is coming to an end. I have set a defense date (March 18th) and have begun to write my dissertation. Which is incredibly un-fun. I have two chapters done, but still have three more to tackle, plus a lecture to give on Tuesday, as well as a postdoctoral fellowship application that is due two days before my thesis has to be turned in, and a poster which I must put together and present two days after my thesis has to be turned in. Needless to say blog readers, telling you that I am stressed out does not even begin to cover it.

But I had a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel the other day when I ordered my cap and gown and the following graduation announcements:




It feels surreal to see these (I can't even tell you how many times I felt that this day would never come). But I got a flutter of excitement thinking that in a month and a half this will all be behind me!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Congratulations in advance! It will be one of those days you will remember forever. What I most remember about my day was that my grandfather got all misty and that I had one mother of a headache after the defense. Plus there was that huge sigh of relief! I will be thinking about you!!

jessikahsd said...

Thanks Julie! I am already not looking forward to how stressed out I am going to be that day - but I am looking forward to that sigh of relief! ;)