Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Demystifying Tofu

When I first decided to stop eating all meat other than fish, I was positively frightened by tofu. I definitely did not grow up eating tofu (my dad is a tried and true steak and potatoes kind of guy) and although I had heard time and time again that tofu could be used as a healthier alternative to just about every protein on the planet, just how in the hell was I supposed to get from the flavorless white block I saw in the grocery store to a delicious meal?

The first tofu dish that I ever made was what I like to call chili and garlic tofu. I decided to go with a Chinese food-ish recipe (considering that tofu has been a prevalent ingredient in all different types of Asian cultures for centuries, I figured this was probably the best place to start). I found one that called for a whole host of different exotic veggies, but when I got to my local grocery store, I couldn't find most of them. So I bought the ones I did find and I ended up with a delicious recipe that I still enjoy to this very day, 8 years after my first foray into the wonders of cooking tofu.

(Side note: I know some people honestly cannot stand tofu, but don't shy away from this recipe - it also makes a wonderful marinade for chicken! You can whisk the ingredients together and marinate chicken breasts in them for 2 hours, then cook as you usually would.)

Chili and Garlic Tofu

2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 block extra firm tofu, cubed
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch of green onions, diced
1 large jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
(Be sure to remove the seeds and all of the white part of the jalapeno - otherwise the dish will be overly spicy!)
3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce

Heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute for about 5 minutes, turning once (tofu should have a crispy, golden-brown color). Add garlic, green onions, and jalapeno and saute for 3 minutes. Add soy sauce and saute for 3 minutes. Serve over steamed rice.


Practicing my chopping skills for when I audition for Next Food Network Star. ;)

Cubed tofu (before it's transition into deliciousness).

1 comment:

Julie said...

This is a staple in our house--Ma Po Tofu--pretty similar recipe. We make it often, but leave out the spicy for the kid. I think its yummy even non-spicy though. We add a bit of black bean sauce from the jar and a Tbsp of Rice Vinegar.

I have another great tofu recipe that involves frying the tofu until crisp and then serving on a bed of sauteed spinach and making a sauce from OJ and soy sauce (with cornstarch to thicken) and then topping the whole thing with toasted sesame seeds. yum.