Thursday, June 3, 2010

Happy (Belated) Memorial Day!

I hope you all had a nice holiday weekend!

This Memorial Day weekend marked the last weekend before I started my new job as a postdoc at UCSD, so I was determined to have as much fun as possible. My sister Renee flew down from Davis for the weekend and she, my sister Anne, and I went to the beach, laid out by the pool, relaxed, and did a lot of bar hopping. But in between all of these hedonistic pursuits, we took some time out to make a delicious Sunday morning brunch (accompanied by mimosas, naturally). She made her version of "upscale" french toast (by coating it with an almond crust) and I made my berry-infused maple syrup to top it off with. It was the perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday morning!


The three of us enjoying our mimosas.



CHALLAH!


Whisk 1 cup heavy cream, 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 Tbsp cinnamon in a large bowl.


Dip the bread in the batter and turn to coat evenly.

Cover a plate with sliced almonds.

Roll the crust of the bread in the almonds.

Place in a hot pan and cook until just golden brown on each side.

Place one package of blackberries and one package of raspberries in a small sauce pan.

Heat berries over medium-low heat and allow to break down.

Pour berry mixture through a strainer.

Push on berry mixture to extract as much juice as possible. Return strained berry juice to saucepan and combine with 1/2 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup light brown sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 - 15 minutes.

This is what your finished product should resemble.


Drizzle over french toast and enjoy!

No comments: