Friday, June 11, 2010

Game Day Goodies

As much as you all know this girl loves to watch her sports in a bar, not getting a paycheck for a month and a half has put a damper on going out to eat/drink/be merry. So when game 4 of the NBA finals rolled around, I decided to whip up some bar food of my own at home. Bust out the cheese and the bacon - we're making Irish Nachos!

My sister introduced me to this tasty treat not long ago and I quickly became hooked (what's not to love about potatoes, bacon, and cheese?). In doing an internet search for Irish Nachos, I discovered that a bar in Arlington, TX called J. Gilligan's Bar and Grill is credited with inventing this delicious dish. It seems there are a million different ways to make this dish, but basically, these are just nachos with potatoes used in place of the tortilla chips. I went with a more traditional version, but feel free to spice it up as you see fit! Oh and one more thing, GO LAKERS!

Irish Nachos

1 bag frozen potato wedges
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 cup grated mozzarella
2 strips bacon, crumbled (since I don't eat meat, I used veggie bacon, pictured below)
chopped chives (used as garnish)

Cook potato wedges according to instructions on package (either bake or fry - it does not make much of a difference). Sprinkle wedges with cheeses and crumble bacon on top. Scatter chives on top to garnish. Place under broiler at 450F for 5 minutes (or until cheese starts to bubble but has not started to brown yet). Serve with ketchup and sour cream and enjoy!


Fake Bacon! (Almost) as good as the real thing.

No comments: