Wednesday, October 15, 2008

For the love of wine

I know that the title of my blog is "For the Love of Dog", but I figured that I may as well go ahead and blog about all of the other wonderful things that I love in the world, including (but by no means limited to) alcohol, food and traveling.

Today's post is about wine. Tomorrow is my birthday and my best friend Allyson sent me an amazing birthday package with delicious chocolates and two different bottles of a type of wine that intrigues me: sparkling red wine. I was first introduced to sparkling reds at a dinner party with some fellow grad students from my program. Now having always been a fan of sparkling wine and also being a lover of red wines, I figured this was the perfect combo for me! Of course, being a lover of food and wine is no easy feat in Utah, where it seems that every law is out to prevent imbibing. I have searched high and low in every liquor and wine store in the city and have never been able to locate the delicious sparkling red wine that I became so enamoured of at that dinner party (my friend at the party must have smuggled it in from out of state - living in Utah makes you an expert at bootlegging).

I had complained about this very thing to Allyson, who being the thoughtful person that she is, took note and decided to rescue me from my sorrows by sending me those birthday gifts! I have never been one to put a celebration on hold, so I didn't let the fact that the gifts arrived 2 days before my birthday stop me! I started with the smaller of the two bottles, which turned out to be an Italian sparkling red called Rosa Regale. (You can find more information about both the wine and vintner on their website: http://www.rosaregale.com/about_us.php) Now after working as a server at a 5 star restaurant, I pride myself on my ability to open sparkling wine bottles without them spewing all over the room, something I was TERRIFIED of and would not even attempt before working as a server. Of course, I neglected to think about the fact that this package had just arrived from St. Louis and that the wine would be agitated. So in opening it I did lose a bit of the wine - which was a pity because it was so delicious! The wine was light for a red and sweet, but not overly so. All in all I was very impressed and would recommend this wine to anyone who likes sparkling wines and is looking for something new. Oh, and it tasted great with the Perugina Allyson had sent me!

5 comments:

raulpober said...

A fine sparkling wine indeed! I thought it had an interesting cherry/oak flavor that was subtle, but mixed well with the significant sweetness and of course the beautiful red color.

Julie said...

Looks fab! I have just rediscovered wine--sparkling red sounds so festive. I took a long break due to migraines and that pesky pregnancy, but now I am back baby!

I am excited that we can KIT via blogging now.

Happy Happy Birthday!!

annemw said...

Sounds yummy! I drank water tonight....From a Brita though.. Crisp and refreshing : )

Julie said...

Hello again, I tagged you--see my blog.

Unknown said...

No way, I want to try this! I must have sparking RED wine now!