Thursday, October 23, 2008

Museum



Today I went to the Utah Museum of Natural History. When I moved here 3.5 year ago (can't believe it has been that long already!) I promised myself that I would visit the three museums on campus that are free to U of U students: the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, Red Butte Gardens, and the Natural History Museum. I went to Red Butte shortly after moving here and it was beautiful - lots of great nature trails - and I have been several time since for the fun outdoor concerts in the summer (pricey but I would highly recommend them). I finally made it out to the art museum a month or so ago during their Monet to Picasso traveling exhibit, which I have to say was a bit of a let down (how can you put Picasso in your title when you only have ONE piece by him???).




But today's story is about the history museum. Upon arrival, I found out that the museum is housed in a historic building which served as the first library for the university before becoming a museum. Inside, there were several exhibits, including Native American artifacts and art, minerals, Utah wildlife, and my favorite: dinosaurs! There was also a traveling exhibit on bugs, which included all kinds of creepy crawlies like black widows, tarantulas, scorpions - the whole thing made my skin crawl! But as I mentioned, I was most impressed by the dino exhibits. I have included some photos - enjoy!

No comments: